[Samba] Error when using mount with smbfs

Mark R. White whitemr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:25:07 GMT 2006

I apologize because I know that this has surely been dealt with and
documented before, but I cannot find it anywhere on the samba website,
nor did a google search produce anything.  For future reference, some
type of advanced search option for the mailing list archives would be
great.  I tried the old google   "error" "site:site.to.search" and it
didn't find anything either.

I can use smbclient with no probs, can transfer files back and forth
and it works flawlessly, but, when I try to use mount with smbfs or
smbmount, it continuously gives me an error.  See below.

mwhitelinux:/media# mount -t smbfs -o username=winusername
//corpfps02/dfs/Net /media/net
Password:
6507: tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadtype (reserved.)
SMB connection failed

mwhitelinux:/media# smbmount //corpfps02/dfs/Net /media/net username=nemo
Password:
6990: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed
mwhitelinux:/media#

I'm using Samba version 3.0.21 from the Debian repository, Debian
unstable with 2.6.12 stock kernel, mount 2.12r, and the server I'm
connecting to is a Windows 2k3 Standard Edition.  Is there something
that needs to be compiled in the kernel to be able to use
mount/smbmount vs using smbclient?  Is it something specific to the
binary install I have?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

--
Mark R. White