[Samba] How do I create the samba user

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak andrew at pitonyak.org
Tue Jan 24 05:17:44 GMT 2006

I used samba on FC3 with no problems.
I recently upgraded to a new computer AMD 64 X2 and I installed 64 bit FC4.
Samba seems to be mostly configured correctly, except that it appears as
though somehow for the installation I do NOT have a samba user.

If I had to guess, I would say that I have version 3.0.14a-2 for x86_64.

I logged in from a windows computer and I was able to look at my home
directory, but I was unable to look at a public area because

[2006/01/23 23:05:43, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(415)
  Couldn't find user samba
[2006/01/23 23:05:46, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(415)
  Couldn't find user samba

Again, this is speculation, but I do believe that the server is trying
to use the samba user to access the public area, but the samba user does
NOT exist. I am not really certain how to create a samba user such that
it will not be a security risk. Do I need to simply create a user named
samba and give it an arbitrary password that is not easily guesable and
then things will start working?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm