[Samba] create smbpasswd/tdbsam from ldapsam/LDAP query?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Jan 23 18:13:12 GMT 2006

simo schrieb:
> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 17:48 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>

>>>you may also try to experiment with ldapsam:trusted parameter
>>
>>I just read the ldapsam:trusted description in smb.conf and it seems that this is what I'm looking for.
>>
>>However, I'm not sure: how will Samba write UIDs/GIDs on shared folders, user profiles?
>>Will it just write the GIDs/UIDs as they are (in the ldapsam db), although "getent passwd" will not show the relevant users?
>>
>>And "ls -l /share/some/user/file" will show only numeric UIDs/GIDs?
>

> I think so.
> You have to experiment, because the trusted parameter is meant only to
> work as an optimization. You should have the nsswitch data available in
> the system, so I am not sure a setup without nsswitch will not break for
> sure. But it may just work for what you need, so it may be worth giving
> a try.

I tried, but it doesn't work.
After adding "ldapsam:trusted = yes" to smb.conf (on a normal BDC PC), I
had trouble starting smbd - it complained about nobody not found in LDAP
or something like that.

After I "fixed" that, I could start smbd, but I'm not able to log in,
and Samba logs "NO SUCH USER".

So I guess that I somehow have to fetch user/group info and convert it
into /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org