[Samba] create smbpasswd/tdbsam from ldapsam/LDAP query?

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Mon Jan 23 16:45:21 GMT 2006

> As some of you may know, I'm trying to set up Samba BDC on a disk- and fan-less tiny mipsel_CPU router running OpenWRT distribution.
>
> I already managed to compile Samba 3.0.21a and OpenLDAP 2.3.18 for it, and they seem to work fine.
>
> The problem is, this tiny distribution for routers doesn't seem to have anything like Name Service Switch (NSS), and relies solely on /etc/passwd
> and /etc/group.

it doesn't have to be NSS.
You can use /etc/passwd for name <--> uid mapping and ldap for NT/LM
hashes.

> In other words, Samba will be unable to get users from LDAP.

it doesn't have to :-)

> I thought that perhaps a workaround would be to fetch all needed info from the LDAP, and create proper /etc/passwd and smbpasswd files (or tdbsam
> perhaps).

hashed user password are somewhat very different in terms of ldap and
passwd. You can use pam, but You don't need it for samba.

> Is it possible to do so?
>
> Or perhaps there are some tools for converting ldapsam to tdbsam?

pdbedit

it is beatiful thing for converting from anything to anything :-)