[Samba] Directory Listing / Windows XP

Arun Horne hornearun at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 23:49:28 GMT 2006

All,

I have searched in vain for the answer to this so I hope someone can help
me. I am running Samba  3.0.21a on an NSLU2 host. The host disk has an ext3
filesystem exporting to Windows XP as a network share. When I view the
contents of a directory, I see files and directories listed in alphabetical
order (i.e. files mixed with directories) when I use the network share. I
would really like to have the share list all directories (in alpha order)
followed by all files (in order) as per standard Windows XP folder listings.

I have tried to adjust this using the Windows XP folder settings but it has
had no effect so I must conclude it could be controlled from the smbd
program. Does anyone how I could make listings appear as I wish?

My smb.conf is below...

Kind regards
Arun

[global]
log level = 1

# CHANGE these settings to match your network/workgroup setup
# ------------------
workgroup = ARUNHORNE
server string = NSLU Network Drive

# the networks you want to allow connections from
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
# ------------------

config file=/opt/etc/samba/smb.conf
os level = 8
load printers = no
max log size = 10
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /opt/etc/samba/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY  IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=65535 SO_RCVBUF=65535
#socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384
preferred master = no
local master = yes
dns proxy = no
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
default case = upper
case sensitive = no
mangled names = yes
null passwords = yes
username map =
dos filetimes = yes
veto files = /.ShareConfFile/quota.user/quota.user~/lost+found/desktop.ini/
force directory mode=771
force create mode=660
create mask=771
map system=yes