[Samba] cant add files + variables ? (Newbe:)

dave s samba at pusspaws.net
Sun Jan 22 08:23:34 GMT 2006

First time samberer :)

I have a home network, samba server running on kubuntu, wifes system running
kubuntu and company laptop running XP.

To start with I want to just share files.

I can read files in shares from my wifes system but no matter what I do I
cannot add files to the mounted share. I get 'cannot create regular file ....
no such file or directory', even though the mounted directory exists and I
can read files from it. I am stuck. Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

Also is there a way to restrict my laptop XP to just the windows share. It
seems that having a user and password for the samba server enables access to
all shares on the server. The two possibilities I can see are either using a
lot of variables in smb.conf  or generating multiple instances of samba ?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Samba server ...............

smb.conf

[global]
    #comments = Samba Server
    workgroup = OFFICE
    wins support = yes
    #oplocks = no

[linux]
    path = /usr/local/share/samba/linux
    read only = no
    #guest ok = yes

[windows]
    path = /usr/local/share/samba/windows
    read only = no
    #gest ok = yes

[archive]
    path = /usr/local/share/samba/archive
    read only = no
    #gest ok = yes

wifes system .........

fstab

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

/dev/hdb1       /mnt/fat32      vfat            rw                      0 0
/dev/hdb2       /mnt/archive    ext3            rw,nosuid,noexec        0 0

//dave-comp/linux /mnt/samba/linux smbfs
credentials=/root/.smbpw,uid=vanda,gid=vanda,fmask=777,dmask=777,rw 0 0
//dave-comp/windows /mnt/samba/windows smbfs
credentials=/root/.smbpw,uid=vanda,gid=vanda,fmask=777,dmask=777,rw 0 0
//dave-comp/archive /mnt/samba/archive smbfs
credentials=/root/.smbpw,uid=vanda,gid=vanda,fmask=700,dmask=700,rw 0 0