[Samba] RESOLVED: Can't Add Users to Passdb

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 04:05:32 GMT 2006

>Folks,
>
>I've gone and screwed something up, and I cannot add users to passdb database.
>
>I've set passdb backend to tdbsam in my [global].  I've added users
>to passwd (useradd -m <user>).  However, when I try to add smb
>users, I get errors and failures to add the users.
>
>         smbpasswd -a root (and supply the password in response to
> the prompts) gets me the following error messages:
>
>         tdb_update_sam: Failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [root]
> without a primary group RID
>         Failed to add entry for user root.
>         Failed to modify password entry for user root
>
>This happens whether I'm trying to add root or "ordinary" users.
>
>What have I screwed up, and how do I fix it?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Eric Hines

Somehow, my script for mapping Windows groups to UNIX groups had
gotten screwed up, and it was creating two instances of each mapping
(e.g., of Domain Admins to root, Domain Users to users, etc), with
each mapping having different SIDs.  Tdbsam was getting confused.  I
blew away the mappings, one by each, and recreated them, one by each,
and now I can add my users (including root...) to the passdb database.

<net groupmap list> let me see the mappings, <net groupmap delete>
got rid of them all (possibly I could have just gotten rid of one of
each of the two instances, but which one?), and <net groupmap modify>
let me reset the pairings.

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell