[Samba] Can't Add Users to Passdb

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 02:46:49 GMT 2006

Folks,

I've gone and screwed something up, and I cannot add users to passdb database.

I've set passdb backend to tdbsam in my [global].  I've added users
to passwd (useradd -m <user>).  However, when I try to add smb users,
I get errors and failures to add the users.

         smbpasswd -a root (and supply the password in response to
the prompts) gets me the following error messages:

         tdb_update_sam: Failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [root]
without a primary group RID
         Failed to add entry for user root.
         Failed to modify password entry for user root

This happens whether I'm trying to add root or "ordinary" users.

What have I screwed up, and how do I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell