[Samba] SeBackupPrivilege

samba at divus.org samba at divus.org
Sun Jan 22 01:07:15 GMT 2006

We're using Samba 3.0.21a-1 on a CentOS 4.2 server (kernel
2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp); everything works more or less fine,
it's functioning as the PDC with an OpenLDAP back end (setup
essentially straight from the Idealx.org playbook), etc.

We're trying to mount Windows shares to back them up, and
getting "permission denied" errors when trying to read
certain files from those shares.

A typical operation might look like this:

server:~# mount -t smbfs -o
username="\\LCLDOMAIN\backup",password="password"
//workstation/share /mnt/backup

server:~# tar jcvf /mnt/backup_drive/workstation.tar.bz2
/mnt/backup

The backup user has the SeBackupPrivilege right set, which
to my understanding should allow it read-access to every
file on those shares...?

server:~# net rpc rights list backup
Password:
SeBackupPrivilege

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong.  Haven't really
touched Samba since 2.0 was in Beta, so to say I'm slightly
in over my head might be an understatement...

Thanks!