[Samba] Re: ADS/Kerberos/LDAP/Win2K

Roman Sommer roman.sommer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 14:32:24 GMT 2006

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Jason Gerfen wrote:
>>> Hmm, I am running Samba 3.0.20a-3.1.2-SUSE and when I run a testparm I
>>> am getting this:
>>>
>>> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
>>> Unknown parameter encountered: "winbind nss support"
>>> Ignoring unknown parameter "winbind nss support"
>
> Sorry.  I always get that wrong.  It's 'winbind nss info'

what was this thread called originally? It seems to be interesting.
It looks like it covers pretty much what I am about to do.
I never came across any information about
'idmap backend = ad' (uses the uid and gid information
from active directory) or 'winbind nss info' (uses
the home directory and shell information from AD).

I want winbind to automatically assign both uid and gid to a user that
logs onto a unix machine for the first time. And I need winbind to store
that information in a central place - in the Active Directory for
example. Is this problem covered with 'idmap backend = ad'? What
attributes are being used by this directive? SFU schema?

cheers, Roman