[Samba] Re: SUSE 10.0 and firewall

Oygle nospam at jehoshua.biz
Fri Jan 20 05:22:16 GMT 2006

Hi Robert,

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:08:01 +0100, Robert Schetterer
<robert at schetterer.org> wrote:

>if both samba and windows are behind a firewall , you dont need any
>firewall working on samba and windows machine if you trust your intranet
>otherwise you have to open the smb/cifs ports as minimum

Well I don't trust the XP box, so i'd rather leave the (application -
sygate) firewall there, even some utility I installed the other day to
view ISO files (was it daemon tools) kicks off a process to go out to
the net to different sites, so I don't think I'd like to do away with
Sygate on the XP box, at least I know what is tying to get 'out'.

Firewall on Linux, I'd better leave it running until I know a lot more
about it, one of the log files showed the Linux was going to a few
sites, but it was only a few mirrors used for the pathes/updates.

Thanks,

Oygle