[Samba] Re: SUSE 10.0 and firewall

Oygle nospam at jehoshua.biz
Fri Jan 20 04:43:33 GMT 2006

Hi Robert,

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:11:05 +0100, Robert Schetterer
<robert at schetterer.org> wrote:

>no the log are in /var/log/firewall and/or in /var/log/messages

Okay, found both of those, lots of info in the files, but I wouldn't
know what to look for.  :)

>but a tcpdump -i eth0 will show you better results in realtime

There was no tcpdump, then I realised it had to be installed, then ran
it, and tried to browse the 'windows network' and got an error message
about not being able to find a workgroup, and something about possible
firewall settings ??

I think I will read up on some of those docs that were mentioned, and
redo the setup for both the Samba client and server.

What I can't seem to understand is that Firefox has no problems doing
this:

smb://ipaddress.of.XP.box

and I can see/browse all the shares on the XP box, but ANY sort of
'file browser' (Konqueror, Nautilis,etc) cannot 'see' the XP
workgroup, let alone the shares.

There are no firewall messages on the XP box, when I'm trying to use
those file browsers from Linux.

As I'm going to set it all up as per those docs, one question .....,
should I enable or disable "simple file sharing" on the XP computer
and the Linux computer.  As I'm the only person using both of the
computers, it seems unecessary to force a login to the XP box (which
is what happens if I enable simple file sharing on XP).

Thanks,

Oygle