[Samba] Linux/AD authentication stops working after ~5 minutes

Vijay Avarachen vavarachen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:00:30 GMT 2006

Try running just nmbd and winbind. WIthout nmbd running, wins resolution of
the linux host is not going to work and maybe that is what is hindering the
authentication.

Good luck,
Vijay Avarachen

On 1/18/06, McGlorfin <mcglorfin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to do something fairly simple: login to a Linux box using a
> Windows AD-based account. I've followed the various recipes available
> online for configuring Linux (winbind, PAM, etc.) to this send, and I've
> got it working ... almost.
>
> I'm able to authenticate an AD-based user immediately after bringing up
> the Linux box, but a short time later (roughly 5 minutes, but it varies)
> I can no longer authenticate. Running 'wbinfo -u' fixes the problem
> temporarily, although I'm not sure how or why. The 'winbind cache time'
> param in smb.conf has no effect on the problem.
>
> Any ideas as to what's going on? Is this more likely to be a
> misconfiguration or an issue with my version of Samba? Thanks in advance
> for any insight.
>
> System configuration info follows:
>
> AD server is Windows Server 2003 SP1. There is only one AD domain, named
> "DOMAIN.LOCAL", and it is small (for testing purposes).
>
> Linux box is Fedora Core 3. Kernel is 2.6.9-1.667. It is joined to the
> AD server domain only.
>
> Win2k3 is running as a guest OS in VMware and Fedora is the host OS. (I
> doubt this config has anything to do with the problem.)
>
> Samba packages:
> samba-common-3.0.10-1.fc3
> samba-swat-3.0.10-1.fc3
> samba-3.0.10-1.fc3
> samba-client-3.0.10-1.fc3
>
> I'm running winbind, but not smbd or nmbd. The latter doesn't seem to be
> necessary, nor is it sufficient to solve my problem.
>
> smb.conf:
> [global]
>          workgroup = DOMAIN
>          realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL
>          server string = Samba Server
>          security = ADS
>          password server = vmdc1.domain.local
>          log level = 1 ads:10 auth:10 sam:10 rpc:10 winbind:5
>          log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>          max log size = 50
>          name resolve order = lmhosts bcast
>          socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>          printcap name = /etc/printcap
>          dns proxy = No
>          idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
>          idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
>          template shell = /bin/bash
>          winbind cache time = 10
>          winbind enum users = No
>          winbind enum groups = No
>          winbind use default domain = Yes
>          cups options = raw
>
> [homes]
>          comment = Home Directories
>          read only = No
>          browseable = No
>
> [printers]
>          comment = All Printers
>          path = /var/spool/samba
>          printable = Yes
>          browseable = No
>
> PAM packages:
> pam-0.77-65
> pam_passwdqc-0.7.5-2
> pam-devel-0.77-65
> pam_smb-1.1.7-5
> pam_krb5-2.1.2-1
> pam_ccreds-1-3

> [...]

"Knowledge is the only wealth that grows as you spend it, and diminishes as
you save it."
-- ancient Sanskrit saying