[Samba] Single sign on with SambaPDC and web server

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 19 00:41:28 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 13:16 -0600, Philip Washington wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 19:01 -0600, Philip Washington wrote:
> >

> >>We are using SambaPDC-LDAP and we have a Web Interface using PHP to our
> >>database.  I have asked our developer to come up with a way to use the
> >>password stored in LDAP so we would have the same login throughout our
> >>site.  He told me that after a day of looking he couldn't figure out how
> >>to translate the Username and Password into the SambaNTPassword or the
> >>LM password on the LDAP server.  I was wondering if anyone here could
> >>point me in the direction for howto's on this.
> >>I thought it was a fairly simple md5 hash of the username and password
> >>but apparently not.
> >>

> >----
> >I'm quite sure that you can find the code in phpldapadmin as that is
> >capable of creating the hashed password. Also - a google for mkntpasswd
> >would likely give you a 'c' program to do the same
> >
> >Craig
> >

> I tried every algorithm with phpldapadmin and compared the results from
> this with the results in the SambaNTPassword and SambaLMPassword and
> none of the results looked remotely the same.  So it appears to be more
> than a simple hash of the password.  The only one I couldn't check was
> the DES one.
> So it looks like I'll have to figure out the algorithm from mkntpasswd.
----
I didn't think you had any reason to expect different results. The
sambaNTPassword and sambaLMPassword are hashed differently than the
other methods. I figured you would have your programmer look at the code
within phpldapadmin and figure out how they get the sambaNTPassword
hashed.

As for mkntpasswd - why not just install it and run it and capture the
result to your program?

Craig