[Samba] deployment of software

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Jan 18 14:48:49 GMT 2006

Martin Miethe schrieb:
> I have Samba and about 40 WinXP Clientes running.
> Now I´m trying to find a way to deploy software (for example
> updates of E-Mail Client, Windows Patches) to my Clients.
> I was playing around with AutoIt and some "switch-user-tools" for
> windows, which really works but also is kind of complicated and time
> consuming.
>
> In my environment, every user got his own Logonscript on the Linuxserver
> where I place the call for an installation (for ex Thunderbird update).
> If the installation on the client succeeded, I need a feedback signal
> from the user (e-mail, phone call...) that the script ran properly and I
> can remove the call in this script.
> I could also use one Logonscript for all users and turn on machines by
> myself in the morning if a certain user is not in the office.
> But all this does not seem to be the best way for me.
> I´m really interested if there is another possibility to achieve this
> more efficiently without buying an expensive deployment software for
> Windows Server or something like that.
> So far I did not have a closer look at unattended.sourceforge.net, maybe
> someone has experience with that.

Unattended is really great when it comes to initial workstation
deployment (operating system + applications, settings etc.).

AutoIt is not really a good way to do software maintenance - it depends
on so many factors, that it can't be used reliably IMHO (although of
course it can be useful for many other tasks).

For deployment of new software / upgrading, you may take a look at WPKG
- http://wpkg.org :)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org