[Samba] Samba LDAP caching when LDAP server unavailable - possible?

William Burns William.Burns at aeroflex.com
Tue Jan 17 15:16:44 GMT 2006

Tomasz:

I had heard that some people were interested in caching passwords (which
could be stored in NIS, or LDAP) on linux laptops so that a user could
log in even when disconnected from their LDAP or NIS domain.
The theory was that the nss (name service switch) and nscd (name service
cache daemon) system(s) could be tuned/modified to cache this information.

As far as I know, this has not been done/tested for use w/ samba the way
you describe.

See section: 2.1.4 The Name Service Caching Daemon
http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/solutions/ldap-auth-pam.html

-Bill