[Samba] Re: NFS4 as SMB share

Al Active LLLActive at GMX.Net
Tue Jan 17 09:36:47 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 12:58 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Al Active wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > Can Samba export SMB file and directory shares off a NFS-Clinet's NFSv4
> > shares? The Samba is on the NFSv4-Client. The NFS-Share is mounted
> > on /Data on the NFS-Client/Samba Server?
> >
> > Any rights issues to consider?
>
> You certainly can, but it could be potentially slow/problematic dealing
> with file locking.

Is it a file locking problem from the NFS-Client's side, or is it a
problem in the Samba Server?

Has anyone ever tried NFSv4 yet? "NFSv4 is not just a simple protocol
evolution of NFSv3. It has been fully redesigned to overcome the
limitations of its predecessor." (Vincent Roqueta - NFSv4 group ).

> My last attempt (using a linux (rhel3) NFSv3 server)
> yielded very poor file locking performance.

I will send this info also to Vincent Roqueta's NFSv4 group to query
this.

> -- Rex

Thanx for the info Rex

:-)