[Samba] net rpc vampire -> segmentation fault

Antonius Aji ahaji at openesc.com
Tue Jan 17 04:28:11 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to migrate NT4 domain to Samba-3 PDC, yet I stuck at
migrating NT4 PDC information using "net rpc vampire" -- giving
"segmentation fault".
Any help?

I use: Debian Linux, Samba 3.0.21a-Debian

The steps that I did:
a. In NT's server manager, I created GL-BACKUP as BDC
b. Here is my smb.conf

    [global]
    workgroup = GLNET
    netbios name = GL-BACKUP
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    domain master = No
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 33
    wins server = 172.16.0.22

    [linuxstorage]
    comment = backup storage
    path = /linuxstorage
    valid users=Administrator
    read only=Yes

    [backup-02]
    comment = backup storage - 2 for gl-dwh, smoothwall, gl-web, gl-nav
    path = /home/backup
    valid users=Administrator
    read only=yes

c. Restart Samba: # /etc/init.d/samba restart
d. Join the GLNET domain: # net rpc join -S GL-MAIN4 -U
Administrator%passwdxxxxxx
    --> Joined domain GLNET
e. Try to copy user account of PDC: # net rpc vampire -S GL-MAIN4 -W
GLNET -U Administrator%passwdxxxxx
    --> Fetching DOMAIN database
    --> Segmentation Fault
f. Check accounts: #pdbedit -L
    --> it lists my local account of samba server, it means that the
process of 'vampire' did not succed

Test domain join:
# net rpc testjoin
--> Join to 'GLNET' is OK