[Samba] Samba PDC linux authentication

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Jan 16 03:40:56 GMT 2006

On Sunday 15 January 2006 19:58, Philip Washington wrote:
> John H Terpstra wrote:
> >On Sunday 15 January 2006 09:52, Philip Washington wrote:
> >>I have set up a Samba PDC and am trying to get my linux computers to use
> >>the PDC for authentication.  So far using Suse 10 or RHEL4 I have not
> >>been able to accomplish this.  I have been searching for 2 days looking
> >>for the information or the right combination of informationn and have
> >>not come up with a solution.   Does anyone here know of a howto which
> >>shows a setup for a linux desktop which can use a Samba PDC  so that
> >>users in a Domain can use their same logins to login to a linux desktop.
> >
> >Have you checked chapter 7, section 7.3.5.1? If you have, what problems
> > are you experiencing? I'd really like to make sure that our documentation
> > is correct, so your help would be appreciated.
> >
> >http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf
> >
> >- John T.
>
> Duh.  I bought the book but I didn't remember that part.    I went to
> the samba displayed in html form and checked the link and could have
> sworn it took me to the ADS portion.    Well nevermind this part, I just
> didn't pick up the book and look through it.

Ah, I do that too sometimes.

> Okay what I accomplished today is getting the logins working via console
> and gdm xdm.

Good.

> Things I found that may need correcting
> The html page when clicking on the link points you to a file that
> references ldap.
> passwd:   files ldap
> shadow:   files ldap
> group: files ldap
>
> I may be mistaken but I believe that for winbind configuration you need
> winbind instead of ldap here.  I started with a straight Suse 10 setup

Correct. If you use winbind to resolve user and group IDs it is necessary to
specify that to NSS.

passwd: compat winbind
group: compat winbind

OR:

passwd: files winbind
shadow: files winbind
group: files winbind

The first uses the unix2 NSS module, the later uses the library that makes
direct files access.

If your PDC is on UNIX, why use winbind? It's much more scalable and reliable
to just use LDAP.

> with the files needed (I believe).  I used Yast2 for my initial
> configuration and that didn't work.  So I borrowed from your book and
> made some adjustments to the original files based on that.  I still have
> some problems but a domain user can now logon.
> Problems I still have that I know of:
> 1) Users when logging in.  System does not create a home directory for
> them if it's there first time to login.  I think there is a PAM module
> or something like that, that might help, by getting and using there home
> directories from the file server.  If someone has a better idea and/or
> sees the mistake I made causing this  please  post.

You need to call the pam_mkhomedir module to auto-create the users' home
directory. Alternately, if the home directories are on a UNIX server, just
NFS mount the homes directly - this is often more convenient.

> 2) Once a user logs in , they cannot browse the  network using the
> desktop application on Suse.  They can see Samba servers and shares, but
> when they click on a share they can't login.  Could something in the
> smb.conf file have done this?  I haven't looked at the Samba PDC logs,
> but I looked at the file server logs and saw no changes there, like my
> computer didn't exist.

That is all a matter of how the user is authenticated. Did you create a
directory at the root of the user's home called ".smb"?

Did you put inside it a file called "smb.conf" with the following contents:

[global]
	workgroup = "your_workgroup_name"

This file can override the main smb.conf file. Refer to the libsmbclient man
page for more info.

Also, you can specify as the URL:
	smb://domain:user:password@server/share

So for the domain MIDEARTH, user = jht, password = urnuts, server = FRODO,
share = archives, the following URL will get you connected as the specified
user:

	smb://MIDEARTH:jht:urnuts@FRODO/archives

> Here are my configuration files.
> nsswitch.conf--------------------------------------------------------------
>----------------------------------
>
> passwd: compat winbind
> group:  compat winbind
>
> hosts:  files dns
> networks:       files dns
>
> services:       files
> protocols:      files
> rpc:    files
> ethers: files
> netmasks:       files
> netgroup:       files
> publickey:      files
>
> bootparams:     files
> automount:      files nis
> aliases:        files
> smb.conf
> # I modified the idmaps to match what is on my Samba PDC
> #
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = DOMTEST
>         printing = cups
>         security = domain
>         netbios name = WRKSTN
>         log level = 1
>         syslog = 0
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m
>         smb ports = 139
>         name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
>         printcap name = cups
>         printcap cache time = 750
>         cups options = raw
>         map to guest = Bad User

Do you really want a illegal username to gain access as the guest account?

- John T.