[Samba] Mal-Formed Share

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun Jan 15 15:41:00 GMT 2006

Folks,

I'm having a problem connecting to some shares, and not to
others.  I'm running SUSE 9.3 and Samba 3.0.22pre1 with a Win2k PC on
one subnet and an XP laptop on a separate subnet.  The problem is
that with three shares out of eight, I get a "tree connect failed:
NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME" error message; I get appropriate accesses
to the remaining five.

Googling the error message and searching the HOWTO didn't turn up any
solutions, only the statement that this error generally meant that
the share was badly formed.  Following are the tests I've run that
have failed, and their results:
         from the server side: smbclient //lserver0/<share> -U
ehines  ==> the BAD_NETWORK_NAME error message  Note: When I run this
against the working shares, I get the correct response.
         from the Windows device side: net use \\lserver0\<share> ==>
"System 67 error...network name cannot be found."  Note: When I run
this against the working shares, I get the correct response.
         nmblookup -B lserver0 __SAMBA__ ==> "querying SAMBA on
192.168.2.2...name-query failed to find __SAMBA__"  even though SAMBA
clearly is running, and I can connect to it from the Windows devices.
         nmblookup -d 2 '*' works to the extent that it finds the PC
on one subnet, but it does not find the laptop on another subnet
(even though the laptop is identical to the PC in terms of
successful--and failed--access to the shares, and SWAT's STATUS
function shows the laptop as well as the PC to be active).

I have winbind running, WINS Support=Yes, Samba is set as a PDC (I
think--Preferred Master=Yes).  The offending share setup from
smb.conf (I've only enclosed one; the three are essentially
identical) is below, together with the [global] stanza.  If I've
over-snipped the [global], I'll send the whole thing, but it's a bit long.

[accounts]
         comment = Accounting Files
         path = /data/accounts
         read only = No

[global]
         workgroup = ASTRA_ENT
         netbios name = LSERVER0
         interfaces = 192.168.2.2/24, 192.168.3.1/24, lo
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         passdb backend = tdbsam
         pam password change = Yes
         unix password sync = Yes
         smb ports = 139
         name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
         shutdown script = /var/lib/samba/scripts/shutdown.sh
         abort shutdown script = /sbin/shutdown -c
         domain logons = Yes
         preferred master = Yes
         wins support = Yes

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell