[Samba] Read-only for everyone else

DAVISJ79 at Nationwide.com DAVISJ79 at Nationwide.com
Fri Jan 13 21:44:08 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I was hoping someone would point me in the right direction. We are using
Samba and IBM Rational ClearCase very effectively when it comes to access
for the approriate groups. The issue comes in when we want to let others
have read access. We have a read-only view created, but the issue is with
Samba.  It seems to me that if the view is read-only, when accessed then
all users would have this as read-only as well, this isn't the case and the
users are not able to access the share in read-only at all.

We could add some users to read-only via smb.conf file but this needs to be
available for everyone to have read access, not just a specific list of
users. I was told that we might need another Samba instance - and I was
wondering what advice others might have.

Thanks for any and all help and sorry for the wide distribution.

JD