[Samba] Network and Reboot Problem

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 16:35:22 GMT 2006

Folks,

I'm running a Samba server (SUSE 9.3 and Samba 3.0.22pre1) on a
2-subnet LAN, with a Win2k PC on one subnet and an XP laptop on the
other.  When I boot up the server and then the two windows devices at
the start of a day, everything comes up just fine, the server appears
in Network Neighborhood and in Explorer, and I have access to my
shares normally.

However, my problem is this: if I have occasion to reboot either (or
both) Windows devices after having successfully formed the LAN, I
can't get back to my shares except through some convoluted
machinations, and the server no longer appears in NN or in
Explorer.  When I run START|RUN|\\lserver0\ehines, I get access to
the ehines home share.  When I run, from a DOS command line, net view
\\lserver0, I get a listing of all the shares to which I'm supposed
to have access.  Net use \\lserver0\<share> returns a successful
completion message.  I get this behavior on both devices, and whether
I cold reboot or log off one user and log on another.

This acts like a Windows thing, rather than a general network problem
(although I really have no hard data or knowledge with which to
substantiate that).  Do any of you have any ideas about how to pursue
and correct this?

Thanks

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell