[Samba] Is it possible to build smb directly over ethernet?

jik jikman jikjikman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 15:39:05 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Is it possible to design a smb-like protocol to work directly over ethernet.

I mean if we can omit tcp/ip overhead, we can achive a very high troughput
substitute for small networks with less cpu utilization.

I am searching for ways to bridge the gap between NAS and SAN systems, e.g.
between SMB/CIFS and FC with volume sharing softwares like IBM sanergy.

This will lead to good performance with less costs compared to FC SANs and
even ISCSI SANs.

With the best wishes.