[Samba] winbind without localuser account

Mike Partyka mpartyka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 22:28:48 GMT 2006

wbinfo uses the winbindd daemon to query an active directory, if you get
user and group listing output from wbinfo -u/-g then it tells you it's
correctly communicating with the AD. getent is similar, but it appends the
AD accounts to your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files so indicates if the AD
accounts are appearing as local accounts.

Regarding your pam module question, i did my setup on Fedora, which has a
central pam module that all other modules refer to system-auth, which is
where i placed all my winbind changes. I know i have seen an example of the
/etc/pam.d/samba file in one of the online books at www.samba.org but i
spent 10 minutes or so looking for it without success. But there is a
searchable archive of the samba mailing list at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&r=1&w=2

I use it all the time.

HTH
Mike