[Samba] ads_connect: Program lacks support for encryption type

Barry Smoke bsmoke at lapo.state.ar.us
Fri Jan 13 17:12:37 GMT 2006

I had this same problem,
banged my head against desk for 3 hours...

samba 3.0.21a + rhel4, and I had the same krb5.conf setup.

what was strange was that we could get to it by ip address(so Kerberos + winbind was working, and wbinfo -u, and wbinfo -g worked), yet when we tried by name, it wouldn't work, kept prompting for password(and saying the encryption type error in the logs)...

I thought that our windows 2003 server upgrade got the better of us, even though I had 4 other servers configured the same way that were still working...(thinking it was something new when running net ads join command that wasn't working)...

well, it must have been wins, or something, because about 3 hours later, it started working properly.  I have no explanation why(and would love one BTW.)

Barry Smoke
Network Administrator
AR Division of Legislative Audit