[Samba] Samba 3 idmap_rid

Hugh Dixon hdixon at deltabravo.com
Fri Jan 13 13:33:59 GMT 2006

Not a direct answer to the email below but potentially relevant
depending how Andrea decides to go about mapping users around the
place (if at all)  *and might save someone else's hair from the
tearing-out session I've had over the last couple of days...

I suggest to samba chiefs that the manpage for smb.conf and/or
winbindd  mention (under idmap backend) that in order for the
idmap_rid method to work you need an install with the idmap_rid
module compiled (static or shared) - eg. use ./configure
--with-shared-modules=idmap_rid
- a plain ./configure on the source code does NOT compile it but you
only find out that it's "missing" by putting debug on winbindd up to
a fairly high number (e.g. 3 isn't enough) - I might suggest that
winbindd should complain rather more loudly if idmap backed is set to
idmap_rid:WKGRP=.... and idmap_rid.so isn't available

Hugh