[Samba] Samba 3 across multiple domains

Martin Wilson-BU martin.wilson at bbc.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 10:04:57 GMT 2006

Hi folks, I wonder if anyone can tell me how I do this.

We currently have samba-3.0.20b controlling access to several unix file
shares on our National domain. This is using winbind and kerberos to
authenticate the users to the National DCs. All works really well,
having migrated from samba 2 we can now dispense with having to create
accounts on the unix boxes as winbind is using an AD group to control
access.
Problem is, we now need to allow access to users in our International
domain also.
I've tried  :

	1) Adding an extra national security group to shares.conf .
This group is a universal group so I've added in a user account on
international. Doesn't work, winbind 		is unable to resolve the
SID of the user (not suprising I suppose).
	2) Adding in a International group in shares.conf  .  This fails
I think because winbind can't look up the user on the International DC .
Winbind Log says
"auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_info3(1173) make_server_info_info3:
pdb_init_sam failed! "   .

	Many thanks in eager anticipation !

					Martin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/