[Samba] allowing users to install printers

Ian samba at zestysoft.com
Thu Jan 12 23:10:16 GMT 2006

>> --
>>
> Jerry,
>
>   Are you talking about the:
> "Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
> Policies\Security Options\Devices: Prevent users from installing printer
> drivers" option?
>
> According to this, it's disabled by default for workstations, which means
> that users should already be able to install drivers:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/fedd859e-f512-45ee-8667-421e0669839a.mspx
>
> I think that security option should read: "Prevent power users" from
> installing printer drivers... Restricted users still cannot install stuff.
>
> --

Hmm.. looks like I'm wrong about renaming it to "prevent power users":

"If this setting is enabled, only Administrators and Power Users can
install a printer driver as part of adding a network printer. If this
setting is disabled, any user can install a printer driver as part of
adding a network printer."

and

"Notes:

This setting does not affect the ability to add a local printer.

This setting does not affect Power Users or Administrators.
"