[Samba] allowing users to install printers

Ian samba at zestysoft.com
Thu Jan 12 22:33:58 GMT 2006

> Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
>>
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>

>>>It won't work - there is no such setting (to allow printer
>>>installation), even when I load the XP adm files.
>>>(Or I'm looking in a wrong place).
>>

>> You have to write your own adm file.  You can set any registry
>> setting via an NT4 policy file.
>
> The problem is, I don't really know which registry setting I have to set
> to allow users to set up printers.
>

> --
> Tomasz Chmielewski
> http://wpkg.org
> --

If there's a registry key that allows a restricted user to add a printer,
I don't know what it is, and would be surprised if it existed since it
would also need to somehow grant restricted users write access to parts of
%SYSTEMROOT% as well as to areas of HKLM.... but who knows...

You should consider deploying printers another way... Run this for ideas:
"rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?"  In particular, the ability to
store printer settings and restore them... Use this in combination with
"runas /savecred" with a local admin or power user account.  You'd
probably need to install the driver files manually too.

Also, check out the %systemroot%\system32\prn*.vbs scripts that are
included with XP.