[Samba] what to do in worst case scenario: samba pdc not available

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Jan 12 22:16:10 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 17:57 -0300, Martin Miethe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my question no really concerns 100% to Samba but since I use Samba ...
> I use Samba 3.0.13 as an PDC and have about 40 WinXp Pro Clients.
> I was wondering what happens if the WinXP Pro Clients won´t have any
> connection to the Samba Server anymore. Maybye due an error in the
> network or the PDC died for some reason.
> Is there any way to quickly change the clients profile to a local
> profile? I don´t have profile roaming enabled. All I want is that the
> users can access/login to their profiles if the Samba PDC wouldnt be
> available anymore ....

As Windows normally caches the login credentials, nothing happen unless
you deactivate caching. The last user will be able to login normally.
You can set the size of the cache too somewhere in the registry to allow
for more or less user credentials to be cached.
By default it shouldn't allow to cache domain administrators
credentials, but that shouldn't normally be a problem on a user machine.

Simo.