[Samba] allowing users to install printers
mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Jan 12 08:00:57 GMT 2006
Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>>There's an XP policy that will allow Users to connect
>>>to printers and have the driver installed automatically.
>>>Run gpedit.msc on an XP client and you'll see what I mean.
>>It's not very handy to do so with Samba and 100
>>clients if you know what I mean...
>>Perhaps some registry entry that can be added in a script?
> Policies are just regostry entries. I referred you to
> the gpedit.msc lpugin so you could see for yourself.
> Teh rest is left as an exercise for the reader :-)
OK, this is what I did:
1) installed Wininstall LE and "scanned" the workstation (newly installed)
2) changed the policy with gpedit.msc
3) "scanned" the workstation and created the MSI package with Wininstall LE
4) I looked into the MSI package to see the that were made to the system
when I used gpedit.msc
5) the only notable change was a policy.pol file in
system32\grouppolicy\user folder (or somewhere there)
6) I distributed the file to another workstation, and I could install
printers from the Samba DC :)
More information about the samba