[Samba] Translate file permissions from rsync using ssh in cygwin

Geoffrey Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Thu Jan 12 03:38:34 GMT 2006

Helloo all,
	I thought I might have found an easy way to sync server shares and
permissions using rsync -avz --delete user at windowsserver.....

But the uid and gid come up as numeric (in hindsight this should have been
obvious)  is there some other way of using an rsync to map permissions?  I
just read that in the bugs the perms are transferred in native numerical
mode.  I can do a find based on uid and gid, does anyone have some ideas for
chowning files by using the same algorithm used to create uid and gid in
winbind idmap_rid?

what strategies has anyone else employed for syncing 2 servers across vast
geographical distances, in preparation for retiring the windows one?

        Regards Geoff Scott

IT Systems Administrator
Guests Furniture Hire Pty Ltd
Tel: 03 9426 9143