[Samba] Machine names

Gururajan Ramachandran gramacha at nyx.net
Wed Jan 11 19:34:02 GMT 2006

I searched the list archives and could not locate an answer. I apologize
if this is a repeat question.

I am manually creating machine accounts on our Suse 10.0 Linux running
Samba 3.0.20. I need to do this as the vampire process is not working so I
am hoping it would work after I manually create all groups, users and
machine accounts. I already mapped groups with "net groupmap" and will
map users with smbusers.

The problem is that there are long machine names and machine names with
spaces and the machine names are all uppercase.

Do I use "smbusers" to do the mapping for machine names as well. The docs
indicate that the name in /etc/passwd must be the exact machine name in
the domain with a $ attached. What to do about spaces and long machine
names if mapping via smbusers is the wrong way?

Thanks,

Guru