[Samba] Connecting from XP to samba shares

Ignacio Fernández Galván jellby at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 09:33:24 GMT 2006

--- Adam Nielsen wrote:

> Aha, so the password being entered doesn't match the password for
> 'someuser' - did you remember to 'smbpasswd -a someuser' to give
> 'someuser' a Samba password?  You have to do that because Samba can't
> actually compare a Windows password to the UNIX one (it can't convert
> from the Windows hash to the UNIX hash.)

But I have done that, several times! And it works fine when connecting
from another linux, does samba use the unix hash then?

OK, I tried it again and it didn't work. Then I tried "smbpasswd -x
someuser" first... and now the second time I entered the passwod in XP
it worked (the first one didn't leave any trace in the log). But
something like this happened once before: after many unsuccessful
tries, I could enter the shared resource once, and never again. So I'll
wait some time before declaring this solved.

Thanks
Ignacio