[Samba] issues with security=domain

=?gb2312?B?1dQgbGlseQ==?= lilyat0125 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 01:51:43 GMT 2006

Hi Dear Samba Gurus,
    We're planing to migrate the old samba server to a new samba server.
But the person who maintain old samba server have left, so we need to
figure out the configuration steps from the old config file. Now the things
that confused me now is the setting with "security=domain", the old samba
server config global sections are:
    log level = 3
    netbios name = myserver
    server string = Samba %v on (%L)
    encrypt passwords = yes
    security = domain
    workgroup = workgroup1
    browsable = yes
    unix password sync = yes
    wins server = x.x.x.x
    guest ok = no

And in old environmnet, only nmbd and smbd is started, winbindd is not
started. According to the config, this samba server should not be domain
member, and should participate in local master election, and become local
master because there're the only samba server in the subnet.  am I correct
here?

But what I wondered here is: by default ntauth should be yes, and how user
are authenticated by their username/password? now the default password
backend is smbpassword. When I try to setup a a new samba server in a new
workgroup  with above config, it always report authentication error as
below:
smbclient //myserver/homes -U test
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_CANOT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO

in smbd.log it tells:
[2006/01/10 18:37:17, 0] auth/auth_domain.c:check_ntdomain_security(284)
  check_ntdomain_security: could not fetch trust account password for
domain 'GR
OUP188'
[2006/01/10 18:37:17, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(312)

It seems that user authentication still go throught NT domain
authentication?

What mechanism I can use to determine what authentication method was used
in the old samba server?

When I try to migrate the old samba server to a new samba server, since
there will be two samba server in the same workgroup, Whether It will
interrupt user's work during migration? When Should I take cautions in
order not to interrupt user's work?

Best Regards!

Lily