[Samba] problem with printer drivers

Olaf Jörk Olaf.Joerk at arbg.justiz.sachsen.de
Tue Jan 10 15:36:52 GMT 2006

Hallo,
I'm running a Samba 2.2.5 server on a SuSE 8.1 box.
I setup a [print$] share at server pslag, following the
documentation. I have a [printer$] share too. Without it,
Samba wouldn't export my cups printers for browsing.

My config file is like that:
[global]
:
        printing = cups
        printcap name = CUPS
        printer admin = root
        load printers = Yes
:
[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/tmp
        create mask = 0600
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No
:
[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        read only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        write list = root
        browseable = Yes

I was able to install the printer driver on that share
from a WinXP client using the AddPrinter Wizard.

rpcclient at the print server reports the following:

rpcclient $> enumdrivers

[Windows NT x86]
Printer Driver Info 2:
        Version: [2]
        Driver Name: [Kyocera Mita FS-3820N KX]
        Architecture: [Windows NT x86]
        Driver Path: [\\pslag\print$\W32X86\2\KMNK30AQ.DLL]
        Datafile: [\\pslag\print$\W32X86\2\KMF02210.MDX]
        Configfile: [\\pslag\print$\W32X86\2\KMNU30AQ.DLL]

rpcclient $> enumprinters
:
        flags:[0x800000]
        name:[\\pslag\kyo_adv]
KX,Kyocera-Testdrucker]
        comment:[Kyocera-Testdrucker]
:

So I think, the printer kyo_adv has its driver ready. Under
W32X86/2 are a lot of dependend driver files.

When I want to open the printers properties on my XP-box, I still get
the message, that the driver ist not installed.

What could be the reason for that behaviour ? How can I debug the problem ?

Thanks in advance

Olaf