[Samba] [repost] Samba - Cups - WinXP SP2 Client

Jürgen Hoffmann jh at byteaction.de
Tue Jan 10 08:33:01 GMT 2006

Hi List,

if you need any more input, please let me know.

I have a samba Server 3.0.14 installed on Ubuntu. I also have cups
1.1.23 installed.

I have migrated an existing nt4 domain using this howto:
http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/ntmigration.html#id2570211

Samba is my PDC now, and no more windows servers are on the net.

I have a network Printer Kyocera 1800+ Mita which is correctly
configured via cups. I have preconfigured 3 Printers on for each paper
feed, so Users just have to connect to the printer and then be able to
print to the correct paper feed. I have then added the Printers to samba
using this howto:
http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#id2550472

I have 2 problems.

1. Although Printing a Test Page with Cups prints from the right Paper
Feed, printing a Test Page from the Windows Client prints it from the
default feeder. BUT with a very good response time and speed. IF I
change the Client Side Drivers to use tray2 for this printer, The
Response Time of PrintJobs is 4 times higher than before. Although
Printing is possible, the time to print a document is so high, that
users can go and grab a cup of coffee in between.

Another Problem is that we have different user profiles accessing the
server. The One side uses an Accounting Software, which keeps its
database in flat files on the server. Every user opens the files and
keeps them open. The Other users are using AutoDesk Inventor 10 which is
used for AutoCad. This keeps the information for large Drawings in
thousands of small files which are stored inside a directory. These
Users are complaining about very long response times of the server. So
my question is, is it possible to file access to one share in favor of
other shares, something like QOS?

Any Help is highly appreciated.

I Have attached my smb.conf, so you can see how this is configured:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2005/11/22 17:14:43

# Global parameters
[global]
        # aenderungen 28.12.05
        os level = 33
        security = user
        interfaces = 192.168.11.253 127.0.0.1
        bind interfaces only = no
        unix charset = LOCALE
        workgroup = HELLER-DOMÄNE
        netbios name = ITCHY
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
        log level = 2
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        max log size = 50000
        smb ports = 135 445
        name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
        socket address = 192.168.11.253
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
        addprinter command = /usr/bin/addprinter
        deleteprinter command = /usr/bin/removeprinter
        add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m '%u'
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel '%u'
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd '%g'
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel '%g'
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m '%u' '%
g'
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x '%
u' '%g'
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g '%g' '%
u'
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w '%u'
        logon script = HELLER1.cmd
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = U:
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=heller,dc=de
        ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=heller,dc=de
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=People
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        ldap timeout = 20
        ldap user suffix = ou=People,dc=heller,dc=de
        #ldapsam:trusted=yes
        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://localhost
        idmap uid = 1000-20000
        idmap gid = 1000-20000
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        printer admin = root, kudlek.c, maurer.k, maurer.g,
meinzinger.u, frank.h, bruecks.m, trumpfheller.s, moser.m
        directory mask = 0777
        ea support = Yes
        map acl inherit = Yes
        printing = cups
        printcap = cups
        strict locking = No
        profile acls = Yes
        time server = Yes

        # Add for fixing Bug 20051124 NM
        use sendfile = No

[technik]
        comment = Alle Dokumente der Technik
        path = /samba/technik
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        force create mode = 0777
        force security mode = 0

[sekretariat]
        comment = Alle Dokumente des Sekretariats
        path = /samba/sekretariat
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        force create mode = 0777

[konstruktion]
        comment = Alle Dokumente der Konstruktionsabteilung
        path = /samba/konstruktion
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        force create mode = 0777

[cd-images]
        comment = Abgelegte Images von Installations CDs
        path = /samba/images
        read only = No

[homes]
        comment = Benutzereigene Verzeichnisse