[Samba] Connecting from XP to samba shares

Ignacio Fernández Galván jellby at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 08:26:43 GMT 2006

Adam Nielsen wrote on 10/01/2006:

> If you run smbd with debug info turned on, what username/
> password is the XP box connecting as?  That might narrow things
> down a bit.

I'll try to get additional data.

> Is there a reason why you can't use security=user?  You could
> still use 'force user' to make all file accesses appear as
> though they come from 'someuser', and you could make a local
> account called anything you want and list that as the only
> valid user for the share.  Then you'd have to put in a username
> as well as a password when you connected, but provided they
> matched the valid user you'd be allowed in.

Hmmm... That might be a good compromise. But doesn't "security=user"
imply I have to create samba users with the same names (and passwords?)
as the XP users? Now that I think of it, this doesn't make sense if
there is a propt for username and password, but I believe that's what
I've read... Also, how would that work with Win98?

Anyway, I'd like to know why "security=share" is not working for me...

Thanks
Ignacio