[Samba] Connecting from XP to samba shares

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Tue Jan 10 02:04:24 GMT 2006

> However, from XP (Pro), I get the window with greyed out username,
> which doesn't really matter, but the password doesn't work, the window
> just keeps coming again and again and I get no access to the files.

If you run smbd with debug info turned on, what username/password is
the XP box connecting as?  That might narrow things down a bit.

> I have tried lots of different configuration options. If I set "guest
> ok = yes", I can connect from XP, but with no password, and that's not
> what I want, but this shows the network connections are ok, I guess.

Is there a reason why you can't use security=user?  You could still use
'force user' to make all file accesses appear as though they come from
'someuser', and you could make a local account called anything you want
and list that as the only valid user for the share.  Then you'd have
to put in a username as well as a password when you connected, but
provided they matched the valid user you'd be allowed in.

Cheers,
Adam.