[Samba]3.0.20b Keep windows local sid when xcopy files to samba server

scot eckel scot_eckel at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 01:48:52 GMT 2006

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I came into a problem with the following situation.
> > One Windows 2k3 server which joined into a AD, and when I
> > tried to copy some files the owner ship of which contails
> > both domain user/group sid and local user/group sid
> > information, to samba server, only domain sid
> > information could be kept, and the windows local
> > user/group sid info was dropped. I verifyed this by using
> > "xcopy /O /K". When I traced the samba log, it complained
> > unknown sid, which was the local sid. And since I
> > configured samba to lookup user and group by the order
> > of passwd and winbind, AD could not retrieve the non-domain
> > sid info which is only available in the member client.This
> > seems to be reasonable.
> >
> > However, I still wish there is some hacks that could help
> > to keep the local sid info when files are copied to samba
> > server. Any clue is welcome.
>
>We have a 'force unknown acl user' option.  But it is
>currently impossible to keep an arbitrary SID that
>has not been mapped to an uid/gid.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, 'force unknow acl user' option helps to bypass
the unknown acl info when we need to copy acl with files. But it just
simply dropped the unknown acl user/group. So is there any workround
available? Something like add unknow sid to samba db by using pdbedit or
switch backend to openldap?

Best Regards

Nelson