[Samba] Re: CIFS + NFS'ing a single filesystem w/ locking

Adam D. Morley adam-samba at gmi.com
Tue Jan 10 01:40:38 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 06:24:22PM -0800, Adam D. Morley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Solaris 10 server exporting UFS directories using built-in NFS.
> I've built Samba 3.0.20b from OpenPKG (www.openpkg.org).  I have a
> Solaris 10 (x86) client mounting the NFS share and opening OpenDocument
> files using StarOffice 8 (SO8, aka OO2.0).  I also have a Windows 2003
> Terminal Server mounting the Samba share and opening documents with SO8.
> This is a temporary development environment, so I can screw around with
> it.  I have a similar, production environment using RHEL3 (clients) and
> Solaris 9 (server), with no Samba.  Ie: I would like to export NFS
> shares as CIFS shares using Samba.  But: I want file locking.
[snip]

I did some further testing.  If a file is opened with StarOffice 8 on
the console of a Linux machine (from an ext3 filesystem), thereby
write-locking the file, Samba cannot read the file anymore, even though
other clients logged into the machine can, albeit seeing the write lock
properally.  Here is smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = test
security = share

[shared2]
path = /shared2
read only = No
guest ok = yes
kernel oplocks = Yes
locking = Yes
oplocks = Yes
level2 oplocks = No

In what context does locking actually work with Samba?  Is it only for
clients reading through the CIFS filesystem, or is there some magic
trick to make Samba see write locks from the UNIX side on the Windows
side?  I thought I read that one could export a directory with Samba and
have it honor UNIX-side locks?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

--
adam