[Samba] creating homedir

markus klimke at tu-harburg.de
Mon Jan 9 18:37:09 GMT 2006

Hi Guillaume,

at first the entry seems to be o.k.. The module will only work on a
local system, i.e. on your SuSE Enterprise Server 8. The module is in
the default installation of the pam package, so it is for sure
installed. Check again your log files, there _must_ be an error message
for a non working and/or missing PAM. Check inside /lib/security whether
pam_mkhomedir is inside. Look at other configs of pam's if you have to
edit the full path to the module.

I don't know what you are planning, but it sounds some kind of confusing
using pam_mkhomedir on a server because no user should have access to it
via pam (e.g. console, maybe ssh, kde, telnet etc.) If you are setting
up a Samba Server and wanting to create a not yet existing home
directory for a user which tries to map it, then you have to edit your
smb.conf and append something like

root preexec = /usr/sbin/mkhome %u %g

to your home section.

-markus