[Samba] Connecting from XP to samba shares

Ignacio Fernández Galván jellby at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 12:15:48 GMT 2006

Hi all,

This question has probably been asked and solved/dismissed several
times before, but I didn't find any clear solution googling about.

The problem is I have a samba server (in Mandriva LE2005) with
"security=share" (this is the setting I want). There I have a shared
directory I'd like to be available to anyone, provided they give the
correct password (win98 style).

When I connect from another linux box, it works. I get a window asking
for username and password, and I can write whatever username I want: if
the password is the correct one I get access to the files.

However, from XP (Pro), I get the window with greyed out username,
which doesn't really matter, but the password doesn't work, the window
just keeps coming again and again and I get no access to the files.

I have tried lots of different configuration options. If I set "guest
ok = yes", I can connect from XP, but with no password, and that's not
what I want, but this shows the network connections are ok, I guess.

I suspect the problem is in the XP box, but I have no further clue
about what the problem could be. I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks

P.S. Another annoyance is that, from the linux box (with Konqueror), I
see the comments of the machines in the network with the last letter
missing. For example, I see "Machine (My nam)" instead of "Machine (My
name)". I don't know whose fault is this either.

This is a summary of my smb.conf file:
("someuser" is a real username in the linux box and in the smbusers,
it's the username whose password I want to use when connecting)

================================
[global]
        workgroup = MY WORKGROUP
        server string = My name