[Samba] NTBACKUP - Can't backup to SAMBA Share files bigger than 4.29GB

Jonathan Marchand nsrdodo at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 01:51:20 GMT 2006

Hi List,

I have a very strange problem with NTBACKUP writing to a SAMBA share.    NTBACKUP won't write files bigger than 4.29GB to a SAMBA share.    Here are the specs of the systems:    SAMBA Server:    Slackware 10.1  SAMBA 3.0.21a (large file support turned on)  Kernel 2.6.8 / ReiserFS

  Windows Server:    Windows 2003 Server  NTBACKUP (latest version)  Data to backup is about 50GB    Description of the problem:    Copying large files (ie: 50GB) directly from the Windows 2003 server to the  SAMBA share works fine. However, it doesn't work with NTBACKUP. As soon as  NTBACKUP hit the 4.29GB mark when archiving to the SAMBA server, it errors with  some filesystem I/O error.    NTBACKUP works fine when the destination folder is another Windows server.     Actually, this used to work fine. Backups were made using NTBACKUP to the SAMBA  server without any problems. I can't think of anything that changed on the  Windows server that would have caused this to stop working.    --------    When NTBACKUP fails:    Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.  Error reported: Invalid command.  There may be a hardware or media problem.  Please check the system event log for relevant failures.  The operation was ended.  Backup completed on 4/01/2006 at
 10:00 AM.  Directories: 2391  Files: 7761  Bytes: 4,287,133,922  Time:  19 minutes and  17 seconds    Error: C: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.    --    I had a look at the mailing-list(s), I saw that quite a few people had issues  with NTBACKUP but from what I read all bugs were patched in 3.0.5 or so.    Let me know if you need further details!    Thanks.