[Samba] samba 2.2.8 PDC + LDAP * on different servers?

ryan punt rpunt at good-sam.com
Fri Jan 6 15:20:25 GMT 2006

All:

I'm running Samba 2.2.8 as a PDC, using Netscape Directory Server (don't ask :) for an LDAP backend. Is there any technical reason why Samba and LDAP services have to reside on the same server? My predecessors had a lot of trouble getting the two to play nicely when the services were split between two servers, to the point that "don't split samba and LDAP" is now the stuff of legends.

A second question: do settings in /etc/ldap.conf affect Samba's ability to talk to LDAP? As far as I can tell, the only purpose for /etc/ldap.conf is to provide a default (baseDN, bindDN, bindpw, host) for ldapsearch and related tools, and every single LDAP operation I can find relating to samba specifically names the new (baseDN and server IP) for all ldap-related commands; however, Samba still won't play nicely with the new LDAP server. For example:

Our old LDAP server runs on the same hardware as the PDC. The replacement LDAP server runs on different hardware.

<On the PDC>
[/etc/ldap.conf]
host 127.0.0.1
base o=mydomain
binddn uid=nosuchuser,ou=container,ou=container2,o=mydomain
bindpw password
scope sub

/opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-* explicitly set the host, baseDN, bindDN, and bindpw for the new LDAP server, but Samba won't talk to LDAP.
</On the PDC>

 Do I need to reconfigure /etc/ldap.conf to make Samba talk to the new LDAP server?

Thanks,
Ryan