[Samba] DHCP and browsing problem

Hohl Laszlo laxis at magex.hu
Fri Jan 6 14:01:25 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I have got some problem with samba and the browsing.
I've got a small network with 4-5 computers wich are using windows xp home and pro.
There isn't domain, just a workgroup.
The samba serves the master browser and wins functions.
The problem came forward when the clinents get ip address via dhcp. The
situation is the following: the clients are dissapearing slowly from the browse list.
I've debugged this:

When the windows clients get static ip, they are broadcasting in the network
like this:

[2006/01/01 00:05:45, 3] nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_host_announce(116)
   process_host_announce: from BYTER<00> IP 192.168.1.2 to MAGEX<1d> for server BYTER.

When the clinets get the ip addresses via dhcp, then the announce cancelled and
about a half hour later the clinets are dissapearing from the brows list. In
the log:

[2006/01/01 00:01:31, 3] nmbd/nmbd_serverlistdb.c:expire_servers(212)
   expire_old_servers: Removing timed out server BYTER

If somebody know anything about this problem, I'm looking forward to the solution.
Thank You.

samba verison: 3.0.14a-3sarge

--
Hohl Laszlo