[Samba] SVN/CVS-like share for Samba users?

Deryck Hodge deryck at samba.org
Wed Jan 4 22:00:09 GMT 2006

On 1/4/06, Gerald (Jerry) Carter <jerry at samba.org> wrote:
> Deryck does something like this at work but I think it's geared
> to support multiple concurrent writers. Does use svn as the
> backed IIRC.
>
> Maybe he can add a few comments.

In my setup, the share is itself a subversion working copy.  At the
end of the day, I have a script commit the changes.  My need is only
for an easy backup of the day's work.  I don't have to negotiate
between changes by multiple users on the same file.

I'll probably work my setup into a proper VFS module at some point,
but I don't think it would do what the original poster wanted -- i.e.
make backup copies when users save the file.  I'm not sure how you
could sanely negotiate merges from all those backups anyway, but maybe
there's a way.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge
http://www.devurandom.org/

Have you ever stood and stared at it? Marveled at its beauty? Its genius?
Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious.