[Samba] Problems with MySQL backend.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jan 4 18:04:02 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:50:20PM +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> again: I have not received any single message from you regarding the
> changes in 3.0.21 - maybe that's why no one responed? Maybe the message
> simply did not get through?

It seems so, I'm sorry if that's the case. I did try and notify
people so this would not break.

> I asked again in Bugzilla to re-send that message, but I still received
> no message (but thanks to Volker the code works again).

It's not important now, what's more important is ensuring
that the SQL modules are maintained going forward.

> So, what changes are you proposing for 3.0.22 that will render the
> pdb_mysql module unusable?

Volker (and others) are making passdb backend changes. You
need to keep testing it with the SQL module as these changes are
made to make sure it keeps working. No one else is testing it
so the interface is fragile.

> And why are you introducing such changes into the stable tree, so that
> every now and then a fix for the modules is important? Please shed a
> light, I really don't know what's going on at the moment... :-)

Because we need to. It's like the Linux kernel module interface.
We need to keep changing it to fix architecture problems.

> Can the MySQL bug (#3369) have something to do with the changes you
> introduced or is this something different that exists longer?

Haven't reviewed that bug - we need someone who will do
that (review the bugs) and maintain the module - no matter
what gets done. Of course the maintainer also gets to argue
and complain and *help* design the passdb changes :-).

Jeremy.