[Samba] samba, cups and cupsaddsmb

Angela Gavazzi edv at goetheanum.ch
Wed Jan 4 09:00:23 GMT 2006

I am used to do the following to install a new printer using the cups driver,
(which is in /usr/share/cups/drivers - and also tried the same with adobe and
wind. generic ps driver)

1. I install the printer in cups with its ppd file - from foomatic-db or
vendor ppd over the webinterface (its the best way for me)
2. reload the smb.conf for the new printer be seen from samba
3. cupsaddsmb -U adminuser -v cupsprintername

step 3 should copy the files the windows clients need to printer-driver-path
from smb.conf ([print$]) wich in this case is /var/lib/samba/printers
here are is the folder W32X86 with the subfolders 2 and 3. The drivers are the
copied to one of theese two.
from here the windows clients get the driver when "connecting" to the printer
the first time.

Now on my new installations (i tried many times in the last days) the drivers
are not copied to the [print$] share, so the windows client don't find them.

so it looks like the driver was "cupsadded" but it isn't really.
This is the problem and I really don't find out what i could have forgotten to
configure or to do.

thanks for answer!

cheers angela

Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2006 04.39 schrieben Sie: