[Samba] Trouble Connecting to Server

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Wed Jan 4 03:00:51 GMT 2006

At 01/02/06 22:36, Craig White wrote:
>----
>try 'wins support = yes' in smb.conf

It's there, and winbindd is running.

<snip>
> > >If running \\samba.ip on a Windows box works, then this is definitely
> > >the problem.
> >
> > Additional data, from an error log I have named.conf generating,
> > keeping in mind that I have dynamic dns turned on.  I'm getting
> > messages to the effect that my test1 dot biz dot hosts dot jnl file
> > (test1 dot biz dot hosts is the forward lookup file that, among other
> > things, defines the points of contact for my two subnets) cannot be
> > created due to a permission denied error.  My test1 dot biz dot hosts
> > forward lookup table lives in /var/lib/named/master directory, with
> > permissions rw-r--r--, and it's owned by root:root.  Further, even
> > though I have ddns running, this test1 dot biz dot hosts file remains
> > unchanged from the day I created it--not a thing has been added to
> > it.  Should there have been by now, or am I exposing my ignorance
> > here?  Further, my named and dhcpd are running in separate chroot
> > jails.  Is this causing problems with updating this file--or any
> > other of my forward lookup files?
>----
>on most systems, named runs as user named and thus cannot make changes
>to files owned by root:root and cannot create journal files in folders
>unless owned by named:named and chmod 775

That's pretty much what I thought.  DO I need to worry about the lack
of journal files?  I have the impression that these aren't
particularly relevant to my problem.

>----
> >
> > Finally, what do the error messages mean, and what do I need to do to
> > correct that?
>----
>probably follow some of the best documentation available and resist the
>temptation to shortcut it.

Who--me!?  Take shortcuts!?

>http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/
>
>this might be just the chapter you are looking for...
>http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/Big500users.html

Yeah, it's the Chapt 3 example I'm having trouble with.  I'll look at
that Chapt 4, too.

Thanks

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell